Archive for May, 2008
Annoying and whining kids, which are solely introduced to exploit basic human emotions and who (in the very last second) make the bad guys alter their decisions, right after they killed numerous other people while even stating that they won’t let anything or anyone endanger their plans… NO MATTER WHAT!!! That’s just so cheap. Everyone knows that the little girl (screaming MOMMY, of course [and MOMMY is always near the next crime scene/shootout/terror attack/bombing/ground zero…]) standing on the street (without looking anywhere; playing deaf, dumb and blind), right in front of the truck/similar big vehicle, will be saved last second by the hero who’s running so desperately in bullet-time to pull her aside. Everyone knew that before the kid knew it would walk onto the street, before the hero, before the damn writer himself knew he would insert this miserable scene into the plot. Stretching the scene into several minutes _won’t_ make the idea better, just so much more annoying. This fucked up situation can only go worse by rewinding it (this means you “Vantage Point”).
Just leave those scenes out or show some guts for once, kill the damn kid (along the guy who tries to save it, but doesn’t manage to jump aside in time) and let the evil dudes, who are about to die anyway (because evil people always die and probably SOON) make a bad joke (that’s how far I’m willing to sell out, otherwise I would say GOOD and FUNNY), about whom no one in the audience will laugh (yeah, right), because it’s just sooo distasteful.
Waiting to watch Lost until it’s done, is just like standing 1977 in front of a movie theater showing STAR WARS and having free tickets, but saying nay, I’ll watch it ~1990, when the reruns are shown in television.
I started a machine (XP SP3), where I could do nothing on the logon screen but move the mouse. No mouse clicks or keyboard strokes had any effect. Logging on and even rebooting the thing was impossible.
Before I tried to log in with the mouse, I could have hit a keyboard button by accident. Is it possible to “lock” everything? I’m not aware of any shortcuts to do this. For matters of urgency alone, I found no other solution than to reboot the PC with a hardware reset.
After this everything was back to normal. I did a superficial Google search, but found only similar behavior in connection with hibernation, which clearly wasn’t the cause in my case (hibernation was disabled).
I keep wondering…
Took it’s time, but clearly the best.
0.5.5 released 5/24/2008
– Fixed login issue for hosted accounts
– Fixed compose mail feature for hosted accounts
– Fixed password compatibility with Firefox 3
– Locales added: be-BY, es-CL
Get them here.
V-RAID V5.70A and RAID Tools v5.40
VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver v2.50A
…and at the Emmys
I was playing a little with the Windows PowerShell (1.0), after a while I decided to test the V2 CTP2 too. Since some features of this require .NET 3.x, I downloaded that as well (since I had 2.x installed).
Because I dislike all kinds of web installers, I grabbed the redistributable. The file weighs 197 MB.
During the installation (which took roughly as long as the SP3) a download window appeared, showing how much was missing! It’s almost 200 MB, but that’s still not everything? And why is it still considered a redistributable? Now I expected the installer to fail, with no rules allowing it to connect to the net through my firewall. Instead it started measuring the download speed… I immediately checked the FW and found out, that the .NET installer made its downloads via the svchost.exe, which (of course) was allowed in the firewall…
With this kind of unwanted and automatic behavior, one really doesn’t have to wonder when there’s often little trust in this platform.
I have these balloon popups about too many connections all the time…
Enter in CMD (in cFos program directory):
spd gset balloon_many_cons 0 -save
-save just makes sure the setting stays active _after_ a restart.
- +Tweaked new stealth rules and made rating visible at Tawni’s place.
- +Made first person view melee fighting possible, thanks to Offkorn.
- +Restored plus conditions for hg firearms, computer and dodge books.
- +Made braid raise perception and improved Fu Syndicate test timing.
- Fixed blood return and purge and added xp for hacking freezer code.
- Removed warehouse bum before cutscene and made tubes not sellable.
- Added some idle expressions to Gimble and Jack during the tutorial.
- Fixed minor dialogue bugs, a Dane computer issue and version info.
- Restored Jeanette scene for females and Larry’s quest for everyone.
- Prevented surplus CD quest email and corrected Maria dress detail.
- Fixed Beckett’s scholarship bonus and Pearl item, thanks to MooCHa.
- Removed Tzimisce creation burning death and an Empire door handle.
- Fixed occasion of Yukie not getting her sword and minor map issues.
- Corrected looping conversation and look-through duct at warehouse.
- Restored beach house inspection and changed Eldritch Prodigy bonus.
- Corrected wrong newspaper icons and restored valve and oven icons.
- Replaced sky at the Ocean House hotel to get rid of oversized moon.
Phones, TVs and other devices that still work, even after the poor character (who’s, as we all know by now, gonna die) unplugged them and/or even smashed them.